Acrylic and Oil on Canvas
73 x 50 cm, 29 x 20 Inches
The inspiration for this painting came from a sketch of the Gatehouse which once enclosed the east and west wing of Athelhampton Hall. Demolished in 1862 the oriel window, elegant archways and crenellated turrets once ensured the protection of Athelhampton’s residents. These architectural features take on a shield-like quality in this painting, heightening the theme of defence.